Monday, April 21, 2014

only the best foods

I've been thinking a lot lately about taking control of my diet. I usually do not think about what I eat. I just eat what I want to eat (within my budget) and what is readily available. As a result I consume a great deal of sugar and fatty foods. It's cheap, it's easy and it's tasty. There are a lot of voices out there telling you what foods you should eat and why, and I've been wanting to make a change to a more healthy, natural diet but it's easy to get confused from seemingly contradictory experts. I do not believe in food guilt. I think feeling "bad" or "guilty" about what you eat is not the way that I want to live. That being said, I do want to try and be better. 

So here is my plan. 

I am going to ADD more NUTRIENT DENSE foods to my diet, and not concentrate on cutting anything out. I want to choose the better option when I have a choice and hopefully my body will start to crave the good stuff more and more. 

So what foods are considered NUTRIENT DENSE

There are even differing opinions on that, so I did some serious googling and compiled the following list, cross referenced with foods I already like to eat. This is going to be my "go-to" shopping list:


Blueberries
Broccoli
Kale
Soybeans
Strawberries
Cabbage
Eggs
Raspberries
Spinach
Sunflower Seeds
Almonds
Avocados
Black beans
Black berries
Cantaloupe
Carrots



Cauliflower
Cilantro
Grapes
Kidney beans
Oranges
Potatoes
Pumpkin seeds
Romaine lettuce
Sesame seeds
Swiss chard
Apples
Apricots
Asparagus
Brown rice
Cheese- grass fed
Chicken- pasture raised


Collard greens
Corn
Cow milk- pasture raised
Cranberries
Cucumbers
Dark chocolate
Flax seeds
Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
Garlic
Grapefruit
Green beans
Peas
Kiwifruit
Lima beans
Mushrooms
Oatmeal



Olive oil- extra virgin
Pineapple
Pinto beans
Pistachios
Plums
Pomegranates
Sweet potatoes
Tomatoes
Walnuts
Yogurt- grass fed
Artichoke
Bananas
Beef- grass fed
Beets
Bok choy
Brussel sprouts



Chashews
Celery
Cherries
Mango
Chestnuts
Cinnamon
Hazelnuts
Leeks
Lemon/limes
Lentils
Navy beans
Olives
Onions
Peaches
Peanuts
Pecans



Salmon
Shrimp
Soy sauce
Squash- acorn, summer, winter
Tangerines
Tofu
Turkey- pasture raised
White rice
Butter
Arugula
Bell peppers
Coconut oil
Iceberg lettuce
Mustard greens
Peanut butter/almond butter
Pears
Quinoa



Turnips/Turnip greens
Watermelon
Barley
Buckwheat
Chives
Eggplant
Figs
Ginger
Green pepper



Guava
Lamb- grass fed
Liver
Millet
Orange peppers
Papaya
Prunes
Radish

Rutabaga


I don't claim to have all the answers for nutrition. Some of these foods may be misguided, but I'm going to give it a try. Am I missing any super foods you enjoy?