Sunday, August 2, 2009

...Adventures with Salazar...


This is Salazar.
I called the car Salazar because it's green, and old and it sounds cool. Well Salazar and I have had some great adventures in the last few months. The car is 14 years old, but it was my grandma's so it has great mileage, perfect for a poor college st
udent I'd say.

So on to our adventures:

First, because of his age, Salazar's gas gauge is totally out of wack. When it is full, it is like 1/4 past where full should be, when the gauge shows 1/4 tank, it is basically out of gas. The difficult matter is that it will always fluctuate around the 1/4 tank mark, so you are never quite sure if it is going to run out of gas or not. As a result, I usually fill it probably too early, but safe. As a gauge I check the mileage of each tank of gas. This can vary also, depending on how much I have driven on the highway, etc.

So, in the early spring of this year, I was driving from Provo to Kaysville with my sister, and before I left, I knew I needed gas, but in the excitement of leaving, I forgot. We proceeded, and got all the way to Woods Cross, when Salazar started to sputter. Before I even looked at the gauge, I knew I was out of gas. When I glanced down, it was almost at the empty mark (so pretty much beyond empty for Salazar). We quickly merged right like crazy and got to the side of the road. 10 miles from our destination. We had to call home, and my dad came and rescued us with enough gas to get home. We got 380 miles on that tank of gas. Now I know the limits I guess.

The next adventure was in the month of June. This June was really cold and rainy for a Utah June. I was also doing quite a bit of driving from Provo to Kaysville for rehearsals of "Thoroughly Modern
Millie" in Kaysville. Much of this driving was at night, and on rainy nights. Problem was, the last time the windshield wipers to changed, they were not done very well. On multiple occasions I had to pull to the side of the freeway to refasten them, in hopes that they would stay attached the rest of the drive. One night in particular it was raining like crazy, and I could hardly see, but I was so afraid to use the wipers because they were more than likely going to flip right off. It was pretty much the drive from Hades, but I made it. Before the next drive I took some electrical tape and fastened the loose wiper. Surprisingly, It has held up pretty well. Now it looks pretty high class.

Thirdly, I like to drive fast. And it's a bad habit. Another bad habit, is using the carpool lane (when I'm by myself) to pass slow cars in the fast lane. I know, I know, I'm an obnoxious driver. Well all of that came back to bite me on July 17. I was trying to get to the Motab concert in Salt Lake, and for various reasons, I left Provo really late. So I was driving too fast. I knew I should not use the carpool lane the way I had done in the past, but in a moment of weakness, coming around point of the mountain, I used the HOV lane to pass another car. Just as I was speeding past them and pulling back into the fast lane, I saw the cop. I don't like swearing, so I've never gotten into the habit of swearing, but I got pretty close to cursing at this moment. If I had enunciated a little more I probably would have. I pulled over, really anxious because the concert was starting in 5 minutes. I told the officer I was racing to get to the Motab concert, (rather ironic, I know). And he took his time in printing the ticket. OK, well it wasn't really that long, but it seemed like an eternity and I was getting anxious to get to the concert. Finally he gave the citation to me, and I tried to get to the concert as fast as possible, within the law. I got to Salt Lake, parked and ran to the Conference Center. Tiffani and my mom were waiting outside for me, and we ran inside. We missed the first few songs. It was an amazing concert, but I was on edge the whole time from the earlier experience. On this past Friday, I went to Draper City to pay the ticket and any guesses at the cost?.......................
$180! And that's $180 that I just do not have. Oh well. Draper City will have a few more flowers at the Court building because of me. You're Welcome Draper.

(I wish the cop that pulled me over looked like this guy. Nice mustache.)

More recently, on Thursday, at about 1:30, I got an instant message from one of the supervisors at work, asking me if I drove a blue Grand Am. I answered that it was green blue, and then they asked if I had an unique key chain, and I answered that I did. I was starting to get worried about what was up with dear old Sal. Plus, I looked in my bag and the keys weren't there. I was starting to worry that I had dropped them in the parking lot, and Salazar had been broken into or something. Then the supervisor who had messaged me came walking toward my computer with some man I didn't know. They showed me the keys and they were indeed mine. Then they asked if I had a pillow with my name on it in the car. I said yes, and then they told me that someone who worked in the building had noticed that the car was running in the parking lot. They saw the keys in the ignition, with the windows cracked. They used a hanger to break in and got the keys. They saw my name on the pillow in the car, and asked my supervisor if there was a Nicole working there. I can't believe I did that. It's so embarrassing. But I share these things in teh hope that I won't become to self centered and praise seeking in this blog. You get just as much of the ridiculousness of my life. I was really lucky that no one decided to take it for a joy ride. That's the up side of having an old car, no one wants to steal it! I had come back from lunch at 11 am, and they told me at 1:30, so the car was running in the parking lot for 2 1/2 hours! Stupid moment of the day! But when I got back to my car, all seemed to be well. Salazar is a trooper.


And now, the most recent drama. On Saturday, my mom had taken Sal in to get the oil changed, and apparently there was no coolant at all. This was probably a result of the most recent parking lot incident. They filled it up, but the low coolant light was still showing, so they filled it up more. That night I was picking up Rachel to drive back to Provo, and when we pulled out of the driveway, we could see there was a whole lot of coolant leaking on her driveway. Plus there was a funky burning smell. I drove back to my families house and we couldn't see what was the issue, most especially because The temperature gauge was not in the red. Anyway I drove my mom's car back to Provo. This morning everyone drove down to Spanish Fork for our cousins' baby Taegan Rex's (T.Rex) blessing, so they drove Salazar down. It was totally fine for them so we switched back. I drove it back to Provo, and as I got close to home, the funky smell came back, and the low coolant light was on, but the temperature gauge was not in the red. Then it was leaking fluid again. The best guess we have is that the mechanics over filled the coolant and when it gets hot, it overflows and leaks. I hope this is all it is. We shall see.
So there you have it. Salazar and I have had quite an eventful few months together, and its probably just the beginning. As a result, I've grown quite fond of Salazar.